Sometimes, we get so busy with our lives that we forget to just stop, be still, and focus inward. It seems, especially in the summer months, there are just too many things to do, too many people to see, that we can needlessly tire ourselves out.
We must be particularly aware not to run ourselves down mentally, emotionally, and/or physically. It’s important to remember to breathe, relax, rest, and not push ourselves so hard to be everything to everyone, and to do everything asked of us. We need to have realistic expectations of what we’re capable of. Since we’re only human, there is a limit on what we can accomplish in a day. As such, it’s critical to prioritize and be practical in what we’re trying to achieve on a daily basis, and, over the long term. We must be careful not to overcommit ourselves.
In order to cope with our busy lives, it’s imperative to get proper sleep and rest. That way, you can complete your tasks much more efficiently. Remember not to skip meals (which is so tempting when you’re pressed for time). Try to eat your meals at the same time each day and please, eat healthy. Carry around healthy foods to snack on during the day (i.e. fruits, vegetables, nuts).
Even when you have a full schedule, you still need to force yourself to take breaks and relax. Try these suggestions for five, ten, or fifteen minutes intervals throughout your day to slow down your busy life:
- Close your eyes and breath deeply.
- Do short meditations.
- Get up and stretch frequently (especially if you spend a lot of time sitting down during the day).
- If you have a pet, play with your him or her (did you know just touching and stroking your dog or cat reduces your stress level?)
- Fill your mind with pleasant and grateful thoughts.
- Go for a walk or run.
- Listen to music you love.
- Rub the back of your neck or shoulders.
- Spend time in solitude in nature. Sit on a bench in the park and listen to the birds. Appreciate the trees, mountains, ocean, or the flowers around you.
- If you like singing, put on some tunes and belt them out!
- If you dance, get up and dance!
- Watch or listen to part of a comedy show.
I know we all have busy lives. However, it’s when we’re busiest, that we must take good care of ourselves—physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. Don’t let your schedule take over your life. Instead, keep your life at a manageable pace, and be aware when you’re doing and expecting too much from yourself. Plan ahead and pace yourself. Say no to events and social activities if you need to. Sometimes, you may have to say no to family and friends.
Remember you must take care of yourself first. Once you take care of yourself, then you will be at your very best.
Love & Light,
I’d be so grateful if you can share this post on your social media and leave a comment below ♥